The Lagos State Waste Management Authority has cleared refuse piles that had been on road medians along the Ejigbo-Idimu area for about four months.
These heaps, which built up on the median connecting Ejigbo and Idimu, especially around the Dorcas and Church bus stops, were removed after PUNCH Metro reported residents' worries about the long neglect.
Residents complained that the refuse had been on the median since May, even after they made several reports to waste managers and relevant authorities.
A follow-up visit to the area on Wednesday showed that the heaps had been cleared, leaving the affected parts of the median much cleaner.
Further down the road, the stretch from OPC Junction to Idimu Bus Stop, where there were also heaps of refuse, had similarly been cleaned up.
Residents who spoke with our correspondent expressed relief about the cleanup.
They also called for regular and consistent waste removal to stop the refuse from piling up again.
One resident, who only gave his name as Sesan, said the cleanup was a good move but urged the authorities to keep the area clean.
He said, "We are happy that the refuse has been cleared. It was becoming an embarrassment because the heaps had stayed there for months.
"But what is important now is for the authorities to ensure that the refuse does not accumulate again. Waste is generated every day, so there should be regular evacuation."
Another resident, who wished to remain anonymous, said the cleanup had eased worries among residents and road users.
He said, "We appreciate the fact that they have finally cleared the refuse. We had complained several times before the report was published, but nothing happened. We hope this will be sustained."
This cleanup comes about two weeks after the Managing Director of LAWMA, Muyiwa Gbadegesin, told Lagos residents that the issue of refuse heaps across the city would soon be tackled with a new plan.



Drop your comment
No comments yet — be the first to drop the gist 👇