Ebonyi: Concerns Rise Over Attacks on Opposition and Journalists Ahead of 2027 Elections

Ebonyi: Concerns Rise Over Attacks on Opposition and Journalists Ahead of 2027 Elections

By Aproko Man· 20 Aug 2026(updated 9m ago)· 6 min read· 👁 5 views
Sponsored — In Article

As the 2027 general elections approach, there are growing fears over attacks and harassment of opposition members and journalists in Ebonyi State. These incidents are raising serious concerns about the safety of political actors and media workers, as well as the chances of a peaceful election.

Reports from The PUNCH reveal that several violent events took place in Ezza South Local Government Area from August 1 to 6, 2026. These incidents allegedly involved opposition members and journalists and have raised alarms about the shrinking space for political activities in the state.

The events included the disruption of a defection rally, attacks on suspected members of the Peoples Democratic Party, and an alleged assault on journalists covering the rally. Opposition parties and the Nigeria Union of Journalists have condemned these actions. They are calling for security agencies to look into the matter and hold those responsible accountable.

Opposition members have accused supporters of the ruling All Progressives Congress of being involved in the violence. The APC has denied these claims, and the police have also disputed the idea that there was not enough security at the event.

As political activities ramp up before the 2027 elections, there are increasing worries that ongoing violence and intimidation could harm democratic participation and threaten a peaceful electoral process in Ebonyi.

In Ikwuator village, Ezza South Local Government Area, a former APC member, Ifeanyi Nworie, was allegedly attacked on August 1 while trying to rejoin the PDP. He was attacked alongside his supporters as he attempted to return to his former party.

Nworie, who was the PDP chairman in the state, had switched to the APC after the 2023 elections. He planned to be officially welcomed back into the PDP by party leaders when the attack happened.

Originally, the rally was set to take place at the Idemba village square. But due to security concerns, Nworie moved it to his house. He claims over 50 political thugs, thought to be APC supporters, burst in, disrupted the rally, damaged chairs and canopies, and assaulted attendees.

Nworie described the situation as pathetic. He alleged that police officers from the Ebonyi State Police Command stood by while the attackers wreaked havoc. He had alerted the police about the event and requested security to ensure safety.

“The police watched as the thugs stormed the venue and attacked me, beat my supporters and disrupted the rally,” he said.

Nworie noted he had sent a letter to the police on July 31, 2026, informing them of the event and asking for security. The letter mentioned threats to his life and that of his supporters.

The letter stated, “I am the former Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Ebonyi State within the 2021, 2023 General Elections and had previously abandoned the party after the general election and now decided to go back due to my relationship with the present gubernatorial flag bearer.”

He also wrote about receiving threats and requested police protection to prevent any breakdown of peace during the event. But the police have countered Nworie's statements, claiming they were not properly informed about the venue and could not provide security.

Police spokesperson Joshua Ukandu stated that no officers were at Nworie’s house during the alleged attack. He added that Nworie's letter arrived too late for proper arrangements to be made.

The situation escalated further with Blessing Ngwuta, a 40-year-old mother from Amaezekwe community. She said armed thugs invaded her home and attacked her husband, a PDP member, and others present.

Ngwuta, who was injured during the attack, said she was cooking when the attackers came in and assaulted her 73-year-old husband. She suffered severe pain and lost her four-month pregnancy due to the attack.

“One of them hit me from behind and I fell down and hit my stomach on the ground. When I tried to get up, another one pointed a gun at my head and said they would use me as an example for others to learn,” she recounted.

Her husband, Christopher Ngwuta, condemned the attack, stating that his political affiliation should not put his family in danger.

The claims of violence come after social media commentator Nwoba Chika Nwoba stated that the local government chairmen have been instructed to suppress opposition meetings as political activities ramp up ahead of the 2027 elections.

As the Independent National Electoral Commission has set campaign dates to begin, the situation in Ebonyi is raising alarms about the safety of political activities and the ability of opposition parties to operate freely.

With these allegations and counterclaims, there are fears that this could disrupt a fair election process and raise doubts about the likelihood of peaceful and credible elections in Ebonyi in 2027.

The Chairman of the APC in Ebonyi, Chief Stanley Okoro-Emegha, denied any involvement in the violence. He said, “So far as it has to do with APC in Ebonyi State, we watch the body language of our dear Governor; he doesn’t want to offend anyone.”

He added that the APC does not engage in violence, emphasizing that their governor does not support such actions.

Dr Kingsley Agbor, Chairman of the Social Democratic Party in Ebonyi, noted that attacks on opposition members are becoming more common. He stated that such harassment is now extending to other opposition parties.

He said, “The reported allegations of harassment and intimidation of opposition elements by the ruling APC in Ebonyi State are just getting to other opposition political parties in the state.”

Benard Odoh, a candidate for the Nigeria Democratic Congress in Ebonyi Central District, also condemned the violence against opposition members. He emphasized that democracy can only thrive when people can participate freely.

The PDP in Ebonyi has strongly condemned the attacks. They are calling on security agencies to protect all citizens and ensure that everyone can exercise their rights to participate in politics.

Mr Igwe Chukwuma, the PDP chairman, said, “We state unequivocally that the PDP in Ebonyi State will not be intimidated by undemocratic forces, irrespective of who may be behind them.”

He urged members to remain peaceful and called on the state government to adhere to democratic rules.

The Nigeria Union of Journalists in Ebonyi has also called for an investigation into the attacks on journalists. They are demanding that those responsible be held accountable.

The NUJ condemned the attack on ten journalists by political thugs. These thugs, led by one Friday Agbom, reportedly tried to set fire to a NUJ bus carrying the journalists.

The NUJ stated, “Congress condemned in the strongest terms the unprovoked attack on journalists who were invited to cover a political event.”

They urged political parties to warn their members against harassing journalists, stressing that any further attacks could lead to a boycott of coverage for those parties.

Sponsored — Mid Article
Did you enjoy this gist?
A
Aproko Man

Bringing you the latest from the Politics and Metro desks.

Drop your comment

Your email won't be shown publicly. Comments may be reviewed before posting.

No comments yet — be the first to drop the gist 👇

Keep Reading