Former Commonwealth Games 200m champion Leon Baptiste is now in jail in Morocco. He was convicted for sexual assault of a minor. This ends weeks of worry about where the former British sprinter was.
Baptiste, 41, went missing after he traveled to Morocco. He was there working as a consultant sprint coach for UK Athletics.
On Wednesday, the BBC reported that a source from the Moroccan Ministry of Justice confirmed Baptiste was taken into custody in Marrakech in May. He was found guilty and is now serving a 10-month sentence in Al-Oudaya prison.
The source denied claims that Baptiste had disappeared. They said, “The foreign national concerned had not lost contact with his surroundings and was not subject to any disappearance or unexplained absence.” They also stated that Baptiste was “in good health.”
Morocco’s Public Prosecution Office also confirmed his detention and imprisonment. They said, “The British national is currently being held at the local prison in Marrakech, where he is serving a custodial sentence following a court judgment against him in connection with his involvement in a criminal case.”
The Moroccan authorities mentioned that it is normal to limit case details in their judicial system.
Baptiste stopped communicating with the athletes he was coaching over three months ago. This left both the athletes and UK Athletics confused about his absence.
In May, he sent a short message to the sprinters he was training. He told them he would be away from sessions “for a while.” He did not give any more details.
The athletes were preparing for big competitions without their coach at a crucial time of the season.
Baptiste had been working as a consultant sprint coach for UK Athletics. He was guiding a group of top British athletes ahead of this summer’s Commonwealth Games and European Championships.
He also received the England Athletics Coach of the Year award at the 2023 Sporting Equals Awards.
Weekend reports said Baptiste was missing in Morocco. But it later came out that he traveled to Marrakech with three other former British athletes. They all returned to the UK.
A spokesperson from the UK Foreign Office confirmed that the government is helping Baptiste. They said, “We are supporting a British national who is detained in Morocco and are in contact with the authorities.”
Baptiste’s family is said to be aware of his situation in prison.
On Tuesday, he sent an email to the athletes he was coaching to resign from his role. He mentioned unspecified health issues as the reason for leaving. He did not mention his conviction or imprisonment.
Baptiste won the 200m gold medal for England at the 2010 Commonwealth Games. He focused on the 100m and 200m events during his sprinting career. Later on, he continued to be involved in British athletics through his consultancy role with UK Athletics.


Drop your comment
No comments yet — be the first to drop the gist 👇