Four Nigerians have been arrested in India for their alleged role in a drug trafficking ring. Authorities seized drugs worth about ₹15 crore (₦ 2.1 billion) during several operations.
The Hindu reported on Wednesday that the arrests came after coordinated efforts by the Narcotics Control Bureau, state police, and other security agencies. They were targeting foreign nationals linked to drug trafficking and those overstaying their visas in India.
The investigation started on July 18. Intelligence from the Uttar Pradesh Special Task Force led NCB operatives and police to Khanpur, Delhi.
The agency reported, "The operation resulted in the seizure of over 5 kg of amphetamine and the arrest of a Nigerian national, Obase Prosper Ogboronjor."
The NCB added that Ogboronjor was also wanted by the Uttar Pradesh STF for a cyber-fraud case involving about ₹68 lakh. They mentioned, "The accused was also wanted by the STF in a major cyber-fraud case involving approximately ₹68 lakh," and noted that he had been “overstaying in India despite the expiration of his medical visa in June 2023."
A follow-up operation on July 21 led police to Hans Enclave in Gurugram. There, another Nigerian, Abuchi George Okorie, was arrested.
According to the NCB, "A follow-up action led to the seizure of 9.7 kg of amphetamine and 67.84 kg of pseudoephedrine from Hans Enclave in Gurugram, as well as the arrest of another Nigerian national, Abuchi George Okorie."
The agency said this substance is concerning because "pseudoephedrine, a controlled substance, is used in the illicit manufacture of methamphetamine."
Okorie entered India on a medical attendant visa that expired in June 2015 but allegedly stayed on.
Investigators then moved to a property in Mehrauli, Delhi, on August 3, where more drugs were found.
The NCB said, "Based on the findings, the agency zeroed in on a premises in Mehrauli, Delhi, from which 318 grams of cocaine and 6 grams of heroin were seized on August 3."
During this operation, two Nigerians, Uchenna Stephen Nwanko and Chikezie Joshua Igwe, were arrested. The agency claimed they had "been living illegally for over 13 years."
An African woman, whose name is not yet known, was injured while trying to escape from the property.
The NCB stated, "During this operation, one African woman, whose identity is being established, attempted to escape by jumping from the balcony, injuring herself. She is currently receiving treatment."
After the arrests, the agency called on hotels, guest houses, and landlords to follow rules about foreign nationals staying in India.
The NCB said, "Hotels, guest houses, landlords, and other accommodation providers are required to comply with the legal provisions governing the accommodation of foreign nationals. They must provide timely information about their stay to the authorities, as required by the Immigration and Foreigners Act, 2025."
The agency also announced a nationwide operation to deal with illegal overstaying and drug trafficking involving foreigners.
The NCB said, "To address the issue in a coordinated manner, the NCB, in association with the State police and immigration authorities, will launch a fortnight-long nationwide campaign, ‘Trinetra’, in the first week of September 2026 to identify illegally overstaying foreign nationals suspected to be involved in drug trafficking."





Drop your comment
No comments yet — be the first to drop the gist 👇