Police nab 40 suspects for robbery and kidnapping in Abuja

Police nab 40 suspects for robbery and kidnapping in Abuja

By Aproko Man· 19 Aug 2026(updated 3m ago)· 2 min read· 👁 14 views
Sponsored — In Article

The Police in the Federal Capital Territory have arrested 40 suspects in different operations for alleged traffic robbery, armed robbery, kidnapping, and other traffic offences.

The Commissioner of Police, FCT Command, CP Ahmed Sanusi, announced this on Wednesday during a press briefing at the police headquarters in Abuja.

Sanusi explained that the arrests came after reviewing crime trends in the FCT. This is part of their plan to reduce armed robbery, stolen vehicles, and other crimes in the area.

He stated, “To effectively tackle crime, especially stolen vehicles and armed robbery in the Federal Capital Territory, we revisited our strategies and conducted a thorough review of crime patterns.”

In detailing the arrests, the CP said 10 suspects were picked up for alleged traffic robbery. Another 20 suspects were caught for various traffic offences.

He mentioned that the traffic robbery suspects were arrested after complaints about criminals pretending to be hawkers on busy roads and at traffic stops.

“So far, we have arrested ten traffic robbery suspects,” Sanusi said, noting that they are in custody and being investigated.

The commissioner also mentioned that 20 people were arrested for traffic offences, especially for driving against traffic, which is commonly called one-way driving.

“So far, we have arrested twenty (20) suspects for various traffic offences and they were all quickly charged to court,” he said.

On armed robbery, Sanusi said two suspects were arrested linked to robbery cases in Nyanya and Kubwa.

One of the suspects, 32-year-old Ismail Tasiu, was tracked to a hotel in Jabi. He was arrested along with 35-year-old Adamu Aliyu, who was said to be a receiver of stolen items.

The CP reported that five motorcycles, three knives, a license plate, and a face cap with the words “Kaduna State Vigilante Service” were recovered from the suspects.

He said, “All exhibits and suspects are in custody and will be charged to court after the investigations are done.”

Sanusi added that two suspects were arrested for kidnapping three residents of Nyanya.

He explained that the victims were taken to New-Nyanya, Nasarawa State, where they were held captive until police operatives caught Godwin Afekhide and Aaron Ogbu, who were linked to the crime.

“All three victims were rescued unharmed and reunited with their family,” he said.

The commissioner also revealed that six other suspects were arrested on July 28 by officers from the command’s Violent Crime Response Unit Team 1.

He explained that investigations showed the gang specialized in breaking into homes at night, stealing valuables, and stabbing victims.

Sanusi assured residents that the police will keep up their efforts against criminals in the territory.

“I want to assure all residents of the Federal Capital Territory that we will keep fighting against criminal elements wherever they operate,” he said.

“We will find their hideouts, disrupt their activities, recover stolen items, and bring those responsible to justice,” he added.

The CP encouraged residents to keep giving the police reliable information about any suspicious people and events in their areas.

Sponsored — Mid Article
Did you enjoy this gist?
A
Aproko Man

Bringing you the latest from the Politics and Metro desks.

Drop your comment

Your email won't be shown publicly. Comments may be reviewed before posting.

No comments yet — be the first to drop the gist 👇

Keep Reading