Suspected thugs attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, on Wednesday. This happened shortly after his visit to the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji. The attack led to an exchange of gunfire with the governor's security team.
The shooting lasted about 12 to 15 minutes. It started right after Adeleke left the palace hall where he had met with the king.
Adeleke arrived at the Ataoja’s palace around 3:15 pm. He came in a convoy of about 20 vehicles after leaving the Osun State office of the Independent National Electoral Commission in Osogbo. He went there to collect his Certificate of Return after being re-elected.
An eyewitness, who asked to remain anonymous for safety reasons, said Adeleke and his team were welcomed by Oyetunji. The governor reportedly showed his Certificate of Return to the king.
The eyewitness mentioned that trouble began as the meeting was ending. After the monarch had prayed, Adeleke had already left the hall through a special exit meant for the king and his wives when the shooting started.
She shared, “He was already in the bus that brought him and his close aides to the palace when we started hearing heavy gunshots. Those that attacked came in an unregistered Sienna space bus through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo.
“The shooting lasted for about 12 to 15 minutes before the governor's convoy finally left the palace. The governor’s security team exchanged gunfire with the thugs. The thugs later fled the scene.”
A trader near the palace, known as Munirat, suggested the attackers might have known about Adeleke’s visit and waited for him. She said, “We suspected that those hoodlums heard about Adeleke’s visit and had been waiting for him. They came in a Sienna space bus. They even damaged the main gate to the palace. They shot at the palace main gate, but the security men pushed them back.
“We all ran away and left our wares. They also confronted the governor near the Osogbo Central Mosque before they fled towards Ita Olokan along the Osogbo-Ilesa Road.”
The incident caused a lot of panic. Traders and residents reportedly ran from their businesses to find safety during the shooting.
When contacted, the Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, confirmed the attack. Alimi said the governor’s security team successfully fought off the attackers and that no one was hurt.
“They are hoodlums, and the governor’s security repelled them. They attacked the governor’s convoy at Ataoja’s palace. No casualty,” he stated.
As of 4:45 pm, when our correspondent left the area, sporadic gunshots were still being heard. Many business owners had hurriedly closed their shops to avoid being caught up in the violence.
Drop your comment
No comments yet — be the first to drop the gist 👇