Akwa Ibom Assembly Goes Back to Complex Days After Report on Its Condition

By Aproko Man· 22 Aug 2026(updated 2m ago)· 5 min read· 👁 23 views
Sponsored — In Article

The Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly has decided to go back to its main complex on Udo Udoma Avenue, Uyo, for legislative work. This is despite ongoing renovations and worries about the state of the building.

The decision was made on Thursday during a special meeting of the House held at the assembly chambers. This part of the complex has not seen any renovation progress for over nine months.

This move comes just two days after PREMIUM TIMES reported on the bad condition of the complex, its neglected state, and the long relocation of lawmakers to a temporary chamber at the Ministry of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs in the Government House.

The House agreed to resume plenary at the main complex until the contractor gives a final notice for vacating the section where work is expected to begin.

Prince Akpabio, who represents Essien Udim State Constituency, moved the motion, and it was seconded by Bassey Bassey, the member for Okobo State Constituency.

The Chief Whip of the House, Effiong Johnson, supported the motion. He said that this decision represents the majority wish of lawmakers to return to the main chambers while waiting for construction to start in that section of the building.

At the end of the plenary, the Speaker, Udeme Otong, announced that the assembly has been adjourned sine die. This means the House has ended its session without setting a date to meet again. Usually, the date for the next meeting is announced at the end of a session.

This decision to hold plenary at the complex comes amid worries that some parts of the assembly building have been exposed to flooding and other dangers since renovation started and has not progressed since October last year.

The special sitting on Thursday mainly served as a farewell session for the late Imo Ibokette, a former majority leader of the Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly. He represented Abak State Constituency from 1999 to 2003.

Former lawmakers joined current members for this valedictory session. Before it began, some of the former lawmakers visited the assembly complex and voiced their worries about the slow renovation work since October last year.

One former speaker expressed shock that the complex had been allowed to get so bad despite promises of renovation for over nine months. He said, "This would never have happened in our time. The House of Assembly would never have allowed it. The governor would also never have contemplated it. That this happens reveals how this assembly is regarded by the governor."

The state of the complex has drawn renewed public attention after the relocation of legislative activities and the slow pace of renovation. Some lawmakers told PREMIUM TIMES, on condition of anonymity, that the decision to return to the complex was influenced by the public outcry that followed the report on the assembly's condition.

One lawmaker said, "After PREMIUM TIMES last report, we have received unprecedented bashing from the public on social media and beyond. Even former lawmakers who had served at the House of Assembly and National Assembly have called us and asked us what is happening and why we allow this to happen. We needed to take action."

Another lawmaker said members felt embarrassed by questions from lawmakers in other states who saw the report and wanted to confirm the condition of the assembly complex. "Most House members have complained how their colleagues from other states share the story with them and ask if that was indeed the true situation. They mock us, and it is too embarrassing," the lawmaker said.

A third lawmaker mentioned that there were initial concerns about the renovation because the project did not seem ready to start properly, even though parts of the roof had been removed. They said some members suggested solutions, but discussions stopped after some colleagues allegedly informed the governor about those who spoke up.

This made members hesitant to bring it up during executive sessions. The claims could not be independently verified.

The resolution saw an unexpected exit from the House Leader, Otobong Bob, moments before the motion on returning to the assembly complex was raised. Mr Bob, who represents Nsit Ubium State Constituency, the local government area of Governor Umo Eno, left the chamber and was seen making calls. He did not return before the sitting concluded.

PREMIUM TIMES reached out to lawmakers involved to find out if there was a disagreement over the motion. Some said the proposal was not discussed in the executive session. They noted it was a plan by the majority of members without the knowledge of some in the assembly leadership.

One lawmaker claimed the speaker was unhappy with the decision, which is why he adjourned the plenary sine die later. This claim could not be independently verified.

PREMIUM TIMES previously reported that the House tried to return to the Udo Udoma complex in June after a security situation prevented lawmakers from accessing their temporary chamber at the Government House. Following that, the Speaker directed the House Services Committee to prepare the assembly chamber for legislative work. However, this announcement led to controversy and the suspension of the speaker’s press secretary over what was called an unauthorized publication.

PREMIUM TIMES contacted Mr Bob to clarify why he left the chamber just before the motion was raised. The inquiry also asked whether his calls were related to the motion and if there was disagreement among lawmakers regarding the timing or reasons for the return. Mr Bob did not respond to calls, texts, or WhatsApp messages before this report was filed.

The assembly has not publicly explained why it decided to go back to the complex despite ongoing renovations or if the contractor has confirmed that the main chamber is safe for legislative work. The resolution puts the assembly in a tricky position. Lawmakers want to resume plenary in a building that has faced weather issues, and part of it flooded after nine months of stalled renovation work.

Sponsored — Mid Article
Did you enjoy this gist?
A
Aproko Man

Bringing you the latest from the Politics and Metro desks.

Drop your comment

Your email won't be shown publicly. Comments may be reviewed before posting.

No comments yet — be the first to drop the gist 👇

Keep Reading