WHO says polio outbreaks are over in five African nations

WHO says polio outbreaks are over in five African nations

By Aproko Man· 20 Aug 2026(updated 7m ago)· 2 min read· 👁 17 views
Sponsored — In Article

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has announced that poliovirus type 2 outbreaks are over in five African countries. This followed assessments that showed the virus is no longer spreading.

The countries are Burundi, Ghana, Guinea-Bissau, the Republic of Congo, and Uganda. The WHO Regional Office for Africa made this known in a statement on Wednesday.

“Teams from the Independent Outbreak Response Assessment (OBRA) carried out separate assessments between January and June 2026. They reviewed disease surveillance, laboratory, and epidemiological data,” WHO said.

WHO explained that stopping the virus involved targeted vaccination campaigns, investigations into the outbreaks, and better environmental surveillance.

In Burundi, a poliovirus type 2 outbreak was declared in March 2023. Health officials ramped up routine vaccinations and surveillance with help from the Global Polio Eradication Initiative (GPEI).

WHO noted that through targeted vaccination campaigns and improved surveillance, the transmission was stopped. Uganda also improved its surveillance and response after the virus was found in May 2024.

Ghana combined laboratory upgrades with disease tracking and quick outbreak responses. “Earlier this year, both countries upgraded their lab capacity, which helped them detect and respond quickly to poliovirus and other diseases that vaccines can prevent,” WHO stated.

In Guinea-Bissau, targeted vaccination and better surveillance in underserved areas have led to no poliovirus cases since July 2021. The Republic of Congo also improved surveillance and conducted several vaccination campaigns after the virus was found, with the last case reported in December 2023.

WHO's Regional Director for Africa, Mohamed Janabi, said these closures show what can be achieved through strong national leadership and teamwork among governments, communities, and partners.

“While this is a major achievement, it is not the end of the road. We must keep a close watch, maintain strong surveillance, and ensure high immunisation coverage to protect children and prevent future outbreaks,” Mr Janabi said.

Nigeria has had no wild poliovirus transmission for six years, according to WHO. However, the country is still dealing with circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus type 2 (cVDPV2), which is a concern even without wild poliovirus.

WHO recently praised the National Polio Laboratory in Ibadan for its role in monitoring and quickly detecting poliovirus in Nigeria. The lab tests over 23,000 stool samples from 26 states and the Federal Capital Territory every year and checks sewage samples from 60 wastewater sites.

Since getting WHO accreditation in February 2025, it has also sequenced over 1,000 poliovirus samples. WHO said the lab is aiming for full accreditation by September 2026.

“Alongside the Government of Nigeria and partners, WHO supports nationwide surveillance, vaccination drives, and real-time data checks. These efforts make sure every child is reached and every possible case is investigated,” it noted.

Despite this success, WHO warned that declaring an outbreak closed does not mean future cases cannot happen. They referred to the recent finding of poliovirus in Madagascar, which had already declared its outbreak over, as a reminder of ongoing risks.

WHO added that countries need to keep “high-quality surveillance and strong population immunity.”

Sponsored — Mid Article
Did you enjoy this gist?
A
Aproko Man

Bringing you the latest from the Politics and Metro desks.

Drop your comment

Your email won't be shown publicly. Comments may be reviewed before posting.

No comments yet — be the first to drop the gist 👇

Keep Reading